Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal

China – 2; Cindy – 0. We were in the Thamel area of Kathmandu, Nepal for 2 days and when we arrived here, I was hit with another bout of food poisoning. This time I actually felt fine but I just had to make a mad dash for the bathroom every so often.  A sprint actually. China got me twice! It probably would have gotten me earlier except that I took Imodium prophylactically for days as we drove across Tibet (see my bathroom pics post if you wonder why). For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to get Thai massages while here (probably because they are so inexpensive)…a word of advice: do not get a Thai massage while experiencing gastrointestinal issues. Not wise. Mike and I were also hit with colds and so my travelling pharmacy pack is getting smaller as some of the medications are used up…so far DayQuil, azithromycin, Imodium, acetazolamide, probiotics, vitamins, electrolyte replacement, tons of Purell, etc. have all been needed. We just bought some more cold medication here for 45 rupees (45 cents).


Our hotel was an oasis…I finally got warm since the weather here is hotter, the hot water works and there are plenty of food options right outside the door. The Thamel area of Kathmandu is busy and full of tourists but it was nice to be on the beaten path for a change. It’s basically an area set up to cater to what Nepali people think Western people want…and I have to say, they’re not far off. We ate Italian food the first night and it was pretty good!

Made it through the border crossing into Nepal

Here's the border

Now we're trying to make our way from the border to Kathmandu (in a car)...pretty tight and slow! 

Some scenery along the way

Our driver stopped for a snack with us...I wonder if these fish are what did me in later...they were very tasty though and well cooked. 
Bus is full? No problem...just get on the top! 

Getting into Kathmandu...busy! 

My jig! I was so excited to be in a nice hotel. 

Thamel area

Just stopping in for my check up


We can't get over some of the wiring situations.

Look at this one! 

Or this one!  Does anyone get electrocuted?



No comments:

Post a Comment