Friday, February 7, 2014

Arusha, Tanzania

We got to Arusha last night and have spent today exploring the city. It really reminds us of Kathmandu here, only without the tourists. Or the restaurants. Or the endless shopping in Thamel. But the chaotic scene is pretty much the same. We went to the dental clinic that Farah is helping to set up, which is nice and modern. The mini-reunion was nice! We’ve been trying to watch the Olympics (the opening ceremony) tonight but it doesn’t seem like any station here is covering it and I guess that makes sense…they didn’t send any athletes and it’s not exactly a winter country.

We had a debrief tonight with our guides and went through our equipment for the trek. I tried on my ski goggles (that I'll only wear for summit night) and they kept asking me if those were my sunglasses...hahahaha, I assured them that I have actual sunglasses. I guess they don't see ski goggles often. As I said, it's really not a winter country.


We’ll make this short because we’ve got to go to bed to get ready for the big day tomorrow…we’re setting out for the 8 day Lemosho trek on Mount Kilimanjaro. It seems to be raining a lot here (unusual) so hopefully that won’t dampen our spirits (sorry, couldn’t resist). Anyway, get ready Kili, 1 Remtulla and 2 Neufelds are on their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment