Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sailing in Greece

Mike decided that the best way to see the Greek islands would be by sailing, and I agreed! Of course, this meant living on a boat for a week but come on, after Kili, that couldn't be so bad. And it wasn't, except that as most of you know, I'm notorious for pee breaks and it is mighty difficult to take them while out at sea, since just staying on the toilet in a 25 knot wind requires coordination. I didn't think I would be one for motion sickness but I definitely had some. To mitigate some of these issues we broke up the week with a stay at a nice B&B on Syros (the owners are friends of our skipper). Pino di loto is a beautiful place and if we go to Syros again, we'll definitely stay there. http://www.pinodiloto.gr/

Our skipper, Thomas, taught us lots about sailing (and Mike took more of it in while I napped a bit, I admit) and we really got a taste of the Cyclades group of islands. We stopped at Paros, Mykonos, Syros and Naxos while sailing and it's true, each island is unique and has its own feel. I think our favourite is Naxos (beaches and mountains seal the deal for us) with Syros coming a close second.



Streets of Paros
Paros
Thomas showing us how to cut saganaki cheese. This stuff is amazing.

Ah, the sunsets



Driving the boat?
Mykonos...do we look trendy enough to meet the jet set crowd? Ha, no, but we'll go and check it out anyway. And I actually really liked it (not as pretentious as I thought it would be). 
Ah, greek salad in Greece is even more delicious than at home. Probably because it always comes with SO MUCH yummy cheese.
Just out for stroll!!
Mykonos

Captain has to check the wind conditions for the sail tomorrow.
But I will let my crew do most of the work. 
Faster!
Lunchtime!
Here we come Syros!

Cute church at the top



Delicious!
Two friends reunited...our awesome skipper and George (the most amazing chef)
Our wonderful hostess at Pino di loto
Short attempt at steering
That's more like it!
Beautiful Pino di loto



Home for the week
Hiking on Naxos
Farah...one must watch where one stops and squats! There are some prickles.
Not all Greek to me! We hiked to the top of Mount Zeus.
Ok, this really is a salad. Don't let the yummy cheese distract you.
And these meatballs were also wonderful.
Naxos






Mike and Thomas' early morning dolphin sighting. Breathtaking. I may have been sleeping (a good captain never rises as early as her crew).

Our cabin on the boat

1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more.
    Halkidiki Rent Yacht | Rent Yacht Greece

    ReplyDelete