Sunday, August 30, 2015

Down south in Iceland

Our last couple of nights were spent down south in a place called Hvolsvollur. I can't believe we've driven (and by we, I mean Mike) over 1000 kms this past week. Just like the old days!

Some random things I've noticed about Iceland:
- the men are very tall - the place we stayed in Arnarstapi had the towel hooks and the shampoo rack so high I couldn't reach it when I jumped! So maybe the women are tall too? Didn't notice.
- prices to eat out are high - as expected. Main courses can be $40-$50 or more! Cocktails seemed to be about $20/pop (I'm generalizing but still). Groceries are a lot more affordable.
- supposedly liquor prices are high too, although we never went into their liquor stores to check, instead opting to buy our supplies for the week at the airport upon arrival. I'd read that you should load up in the duty free store (why it's so much cheaper there, I don't know) and sure enough, wine was only $15-20/bottle.
- I did see a couple of strollers parked outside restaurants but no babies were in them. Is this a myth?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

So how was travel with a baby? Well, it certainly wasn't the same as before, although she was pretty good the whole trip since we drove a lot and she always sleeps in the car. The nighttime sleeping still isn't great (at home and away) and there were some sights that I missed because I was feeding her, but on the whole, it worked out well. Who knew one small baby would require 3 adults to take care of her? Where should we go next?! :) Perhaps to bed for a nap.

Hit some spots on the Golden Circle (tourist route that links a few sights) as we drove down south. This is in Thingvellir and shows the continental drift between the North American and Eurasian plates. Whoa!

Some Icelandic ponies outside of our accommodation.

Seljalandsfoss waterfall



Skogafoss waterfall 
Black sand everywhere

Ah, not for you Nessie.
Ate out the last night in celebration of Kathy's birthday. This cod was delicious! 
Mike's lamb
Requisite stop at the Blue Lagoon. It was great there although I did expect it to be a bit bigger. The pictures always make it look bigger than it is (for some reason, I was picturing more of a Lost Lagoon sized hot spring). 



Home!


No comments:

Post a Comment